Junior Consultant Opportunities with a Fast-Growing Consultancy Specialising in Healthcare and Life Sciences
Central London | Cheshire | Competitive Remuneration | No Sponsorship | Permanent
We are a growing professional services firm with a proven record of delivering operational and clinical improvement across Healthcare and Life Sciences.
We exist to deliver tangible, measurable and sustainable benefits in Healthcare, which contribute to improvements in care and outcomes and are on track to achieve our objective of delivering £350m of measurable benefits to UK healthcare by 2025.
We deliver across three key areas of capability:
- Consulting Services – delivering detailed assessments of value chains and capabilities to identify and implement realistic operational and transformational opportunities that do not impact on service or quality
- Analytics & Data Sciences – utilising the latest thinking in machine learning and AI to develop innovative solutions for the healthcare market
- Managed Services – providing the category management for Diagnostics and Laboratory Technology nationally, one of the most rapidly developing fields of medical technology
The Junior Consultant role is within the Consulting team, however, as we are a small organisation you will have the chance to work closely with other parts of the business.
About the Opportunity
As a Junior Consultant, you will:
- Support your colleagues in delivering consulting engagements covering the full project lifecycle (opportunity assessment, solution design and implementation)
- Assist in developing high quality deliverables consisting of detailed analysis and well-structured presentations
- Collaborate with a team of high-performing consultants, providing support and pushing to develop deliverables yourself to ensure the quality of recommendations and solutions
- Engage with our clients from early in your career, developing relationships through engagement meetings, project management responsibilities and being responsible for components of analysis and delivery
- Receive career development support from more experienced colleagues, working with them to identify development areas, set meaningful objectives and agree training requirements
At Akeso&Co, we give you opportunities to take on a wider range of work and responsibility from the outset. We provide training specific to your development areas and support you in exploring your interests. Being an owner-managed business, we can shape the kind of firm we want to work in. Our trusting, warm and open culture makes Akeso&Co both a professional and sociable place to work.
We are looking for confident, self-starting individuals who are curious and have a willingness to learn, an interest in healthcare as well as the analytical skills and attention to detail to be able to contribute to a consulting project from day one. As a smaller, more collegiate firm we are seeking colleagues who want to contribute to the company beyond just project work and ensure we continue to challenge each other’s thinking and enjoy our work.
You’ll need to be adaptable and open minded about different ways of working and projects that might be outside of your comfort zone. The focus will always be on delivering the best possible outcomes for our clients to unlock benefits across the healthcare system. With freedom, trust and autonomy comes a high level of accountability, so passion and drive are important traits in our team.
In our start-up environment, we can quickly give you exposure to opportunities to take on a wider range of work and responsibility as you develop your career. To the right candidates we will offer a remuneration package, which we believe is ahead of similar packages offered by larger competitors, in addition to perks such as private healthcare, professional training, social events, as well as a generous holiday allowance.
Our offices are in central London, and Warrington. Many of our projects will include traveling around the U.K., but usually this is limited to 1-2 days per week.
The full Graduate recruitment process is as follows:
- Online application. Please use the link below to complete an online application, including CV, Cover Letter and a few short questions about yourself
- Initial interview. If we think that you might be a good fit, we will invite you for an interview (over the phone or at one of our offices) to understand a bit more about your experience and motivations for joining
- Group Assessment Centre Day. Finally, we’ll invite you to our Akeso&Co Assessment Centre Day. This will include a short presentation, an excel test and a group exercise. Over the course of the day you will meet some of our team members so that we can make sure that you are the right fit for us, and we are the right fit for you!
- Offer. Once you’ve completed all the above and if you’re successful, then we’ll make you an offer.
We know it’s a significant commitment, so we urge you to have a good look at our website (www.akesoco.com) before taking the next step of sending your CV and cover letter. If you are the right person for us and are ready to start your career in a fast-paced environment with a high calibre team, then it’s time well spent.
What does career progression look like?
At Akeso&Co we pride ourselves on high levels of autonomy at all levels of the business. We will challenge you from day one by giving you responsibility and the opportunity to learn through doing. We believe this allows our team to thrive and to develop the skills necessary to progress. We will also support you with more structured coaching and training to make sure that your learning has a clear direction and is building towards your longer-term career goals.
You will join Akeso&Co as a Junior Consultant, where the initial focus will very much be on learning and honing your technical skills to deliver great work to clients. We would anticipate progression to Consultant within 18 – 24 months, where you will then begin to lead workstreams and manage client relationships. At Senior and Principal Consultant levels you will manage multiple projects, start to lead more junior staff and take on more responsibility for internal projects.
What skills are necessary for this job?
As you’ll find in any consulting role, key skills include communication, attention to detail and problem solving. We always provide a sound evidence base to our recommendations, so you’ll also need a strong analytical mind and be comfortable working with data. Additionally, interpersonal skills and the ability to develop and maintain client relationships are vital to our success.
What can you learn from the job?
As a Junior Consultant at Akeso&Co you will be exposed to a variety of projects to give you a full sense of what consulting life is like and fast track your learning. You will work in small teams and have significant autonomy, giving you high exposure to our clients and the chance to play an important role on every project. You will develop core consulting skills such as data analysis, written and verbal communication, relationship-building and project management, as well as specific healthcare and life sciences industry knowledge.
What does a normal working day look like?
Our team typically works normal business hours, but on occasion we are required to work beyond these hours (e.g. to meet a client deadline). The company aims for the flexibility to work both ways and focuses on outputs and delivery. Occasionally projects require overnight stays, and in rare instances may see you away for two or three nights a week.
Due to the project-based nature, no two days will be the same. Typically, your day will be filled with data analysis and preparing presentations / documents to share insights from your analysis. Each client will be different and will require a different approach, so you’ll regularly be involved in team meetings and catch-ups to identify and discuss the correct approach.
There are also lots of opportunities to get involved in the business by helping out your colleagues, running business development projects and organising team events.
What is the general ethos of the company?
Our clients’ success is our priority. We exist to deliver tangible, measurable and sustainable benefits that ultimately have a positive impact to social health and wellbeing. This core purpose is central to what we do.
On the staff side, we encourage a social working environment and pride ourselves on our close-knit team (often referred to as “the Akeso family”!). Throughout the day you’ll find going for lunch or coffees is a regular thing amongst your peers. We regularly hold social events such as weekly Friday drinks and end of month socials (e.g. rounders in the park) to make sure we spend proper time with each other as a team. From time to time we also hold “friendly” competitions such as charity step-a-thons and bake offs.
Ultimately, we are here to deliver value to our clients, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the process!
How client facing would my role be?
Very. We believe the best way for you to develop is to gain hands-on experience from the outset. You’ll attend client meetings in a variety of capacities ensuring you get exposure to all aspects of consulting. You may not be on client site every day, but you’ll be expected to manage calls and emails on a daily basis.
Team sizes and the types of clients?
Team sizes tend to be 2-4 people and consist of a Project Director, Project Manager, and one or two consultants. The Consultants will provide support to deliver the project by completing a lot of the underlying work and analysis. This allows the Director / Manager to focus on understanding the client’s needs and oversee that the project is completed on time and to a high quality standard.